Be it looking for a PDF editor for your smartphone or your PC, this article lists best PDF editors ideal for every need.
Though they’re not as great as Adobe Acrobat, yet carry decent features that would be enough to get through your daily tasks. At least, if you use these alternatives, you’ll not be asked to cough up a subscription fee.
Here begins the list of best free PDF editors in 2017.
PDF Editors for Desktop
If you are looking for a free PDF editor for desktop, PDF Editor is definitely a try. It is most popularly used PDF apps for reading, writing, merging and editing stuff that an author needs. It’s extremely user friendly and the most versatile. An add-on feature of ‘cross-platform compatibility’ helps you sync all the files using its Kdan cloud solution.
- Merge, split and rotate the pages of PDF documents as required with ease. Save automatically for every edit you make. It is easy to reverse the changes if required.
- Fill PDF forms, extract images and pages from a PDF document, thus, save a lot of time and effort.
- Use finger swipes to add watermarks, add/delete, rotate/rearrange PDF pages.
- Inbuilt PDF annotation tools for easy marking and correction of sentences.
- Signature, voice notes, OCR and text-to-speech features make this tool rich and different than other PDF editor apps.
- Security of the documents is ensured via a password.
- Transfer files easily if you have an access to the internet. Files will be saved to the cloud and can be accessed anytime, anywhere around the world.
Click here to download.
Availability: iOS, Windows and Android
PDFSam Basic is a free, cross-platform application, designed to merge, split, extract and do a lot more with your PDFs. The best thing about this software is its lightweight nature. This makes it occupy very less space on your device and gives a variably smooth, fuss-free experience. A free trial of the premium version is also available, but once it expires, you will be left with a very simple yet a well-designed tool to cater to your requirements.
- PDF Merge is the best known feature of PDFSam, as it is done faster than any other tool mentioned on the list. PDF documents can be merged partially or completely. It lets you to select the pages based on the comma separated intervals like (Ex 1- 15 , 21 – 23 ) and specify what pages you want to get merged .
- Bookmarks handling is available. While merging the documents, you can decide what to be done with documents outlines – merging, trim their sizes or create a new one with one entry. In a similar fashion, you can also choose acronyms for the final document.
- Add table of contents at the beginning of the document and navigate easily using the list of clickable entries.
- Split documents by bookmarks and their respective sizes. If you choose split via Bookmark Select, the document will be divided the way you’ve chosen your bookmark outlines. If size, you’ll be able to divide PDF files into smaller ones of a given ballpark figure.
- Merge two or more files by selecting pages alternately, either in straight or reverse order.
- Rotate PDF files by simply selecting the required documents and applying a rotation of 90, 180 or 270 degrees.
- Easy extraction of pages from PDF files.
Click HERE to download.
PDF Editors for Web
PDFescape is a free online PDF editor, reader, form filler and form designer. The tool lets you do things with your PDF documents without having to download it on your device. It is a well-designed tool for merging, annotating and sharing across the internet. While it may not have text editing feature, it lets you add text, images and forms to your PDF documents.
- Since it’s available on the internet, anybody with any device can use it.
- Available in two versions – a free web app and a premium desktop app. The former one doesn’t have an option to create new text boxes on page, but lets you edit.
- Annotate, fill in PDF forms and create basic ones.
- Create and add simple geometrical shapes wherever required. This is a great thing to hide personal information. For example, you can add white rectangles above information you don’t want to reveal.
- Share PDF documents on the internet. It gives you a choice to create a new PDF.
- document, upload an existing document, load PDF from the internet or load the one which you’ve previously opened. But remember, such files must be less than 10MB and less than 100 pages in length.
- Security is also provided by allowing you to protect the files with a password.
Click HERE to download.
Availability: Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox Opera and Safari
PDF Buddy was born out of a vision to solve a technology problem – people were manually filling the PDF forms by hands, hiking to internet cafes and get the PDF printed and scanned. If not this, they were paying way too much for a software like Acrobat. It is a simple solution to the old tech hassles and lets you fill in forms, edit and sign PDF forms with a lot of convenience.
- Best online PDF editor to help you fill in forms, add signatures, annotate and share on the web with zero fuss.
- Works anywhere. All you need to have is your laptop and an internet connection. No software installation is required. You can edit PDFs on your PC, Mac or Chromebook.
- Saves time by allowing us to do away with the need of printers and scanners.
- Safe and secure. Uses SSL (HTTPS) to secure your documents when shared on the web. So relax, you’re well taken care of.
- The documents are accessible anywhere at any time without the need of taking prints.
Click HERE to download.
Availability: Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Safari
PDF Editors for Mobile
Xodo PDF Editor
Xodo is the best PDF editor and reader tool for mobiles when it comes to editing PDF files or adding text to them. It is a lightweight tool, allowing you to manage it easily even on the compact RAM size on smartphones. Being a mobile app, everything is a one-tap business here.
- Helps edit, annotate and customize PDFs. You can easily fill in forms and make signatures in a few taps and draws.
- The latest update helps merge PDFs and organize pages by providing options to insert, delete, reorder and rotate.
- Auto-sync facility to Google Drive, Dropbox and Onedrive is available.
- Password protection and encryption of data keep your files safe and away from prying eyes.
- Option to print from the app itself.
- Complete PDF support and is compatible with Adobe Acrobat and other PDF viewers, supporting standard PDF annotations.
- Night mode for comfortable reading in dark-lit environments.
- Bookmark pages for future reference.
- Fastest PDF viewing engine and smooth to navigate.
Click HERE to download
Foxit PDF Reader & Editor
Foxit PDF reader is the best and the most versatile PDF reader, allowing you to view, read, annotate, and protect PDF files on Android by simply tapping on your smartphone’s screen. The app provides a ConnectedPDF feature, which is a breakthrough technology, taking your merging, sharing and tracking PDFs tasks to a whole new level.
- Lightweight app. Offers best in class performance without exhausting your device resources.
- Fast in action. No long waits to view, edit and organize PDFs.
- Annotate, stamp and sign PDF documents. Play audio and video too.
- ConnectedPDF feature to let you participate in connected reviews and track who reads or edits your PDF document .
- Submit PDF forms via HTTP , FTP or email, and generate 2D barcodes for ultra forms- enabled PDF forms.
- Share and store multiple files across different platforms. Save and synchronize PDF files globally using the cloud platforms, like Google Drive, Dropbox and Foxit Cloud.
- Advanced features for protecting PDF files with certificates, passwords and Microsoft Rights Management Services (RMS)
Click HERE to download
That’s the wrap. Let us know your thoughts on this post. Just comment below and we’ll definitely take the good points from there to improve ourselves. If you’re using any other best free PDF editor than the ones we’ve mentioned above, let us know for sure. The best recommendations will be added further.