One of the best technological innovations has been the launch of ChatGPT. An artificial intelligence tool, ChatGPT is the first bot-based content generator that could draft an entire essay with some input commands. While it has become popular in the past year, the tool is inaccessible in many countries like Russia, China, Egypt, etc.
Not just that, many educational institutions in the USA, India and France have also blocked the usage of ChatGPT to avoid any impact on the education system. This problem is resolved by introducing VPN connections that allow access to ChatGPT through a secure network, but several VPNs have also been shut down now.
Hence, this article will discuss the best VPN options to access ChatGPT in any part of the world, irrespective of the network restrictions around you.
How to Select a VPN for ChatGPT?
Since many VPNs have been blocked from using ChatGPT, you might want to consider the factors below before you pick a VPN for accessing ChatGPT.
- First and foremost is the server network accessibility in your region. Since many countries have blocked access to ChatGPT, the network provider you are picking must have a widespread network coverage to allow you access to the AI tool easily.
- Even though we are considering the network provider’s availability in your region, you must also prioritise the speed offered. It would help to opt for a VPN with WireGuard protocol or similar options, like Lightway, NordLynx, etc.
- The security feature of the VPN you use is also essential to avoid data breaches. So, go for a VPN that commits advanced-level security protocols. A significant factor here would be that the VPN offers a kill switch to avoid data leakage. Also, if the VPN offers traffic obfuscation to prevent your access to VPN from going public, you should go for it.
Deep Dive: Detailed Review of Best VPNs for ChatGPT
Based on the above factors, we have shortlisted and reviewed the below VPNs to access ChatGPT from your region.
Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN Solution for ChatGPT across Multiple Devices
The first one is Surfshark, known for being an exquisite choice for ChatGPT in restricted regions. With a widespread network, Surfshark offers 3200+ servers in over 100 countries. One of the top yet cheapest VPN solutions, Surfshark offers some excellent features-
- Surfshark is compatible with Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android and can also work with different web browsers.
- With its WireGuard protocol, Surfshark is famous for providing the fastest VPN options, making it popular among VPN users.
- It offers a kill switch that helps avoid any data breaches. Moreover, with its camouflage option, you can easily access ChatGPT from a restricted internet network.
As a pocket-friendly VPN option, Surfshark is available at a monthly rental of $2.30 per month. Moreover, you get a seven-day free VPN trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee if the services are not satisfactory.
NordVPN – 2023’s Premier Choice of VPN for ChatGPT
NordVPN is another excellent choice and a premium choice among VPN users across the globe. With services across 60 countries and 5700+ servers, NordVPN offers smooth access to ChatGPT, irrespective of the internet restriction.
- The tunnelling protocol with NordVPN is NordLynx, and it offers incredible internet speed.
- NordVPN also offers a working kill switch, making it foolproof regarding data leaks if the connection drops. Since this VPN also has a traffic camouflaging feature, your access to ChatGPT will not be recorded anywhere.
- NordVPN is audited and guarantees no data collection. However, they do record data for service improvement and you are allowed to opt out of it.
- This software is compatible with most OS and offers app support for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, macOS, etc. It also supports several web browsers.
NordVPN is available at $3.49 per month. For users with Android devices, this VPN has a 7-day trial option and users also get a 45-day money-back guarantee against the subscription.
Norton VPN – Balancing Security and Privacy for ChatGPT Users
The next one is a reliable service provider for VPN support. Norton VPN has around 1000 servers in over 28 countries, offering VPN services with an enhanced ChatGPT experience.
- Compared to NordVPN and Surfshark, Norton VPN has a slower speed since it does not have WireGuard protocol support. And yet the connection is stable and secure and will not impact your ChatGPT usage.
- This VPN provider is also compatible with all operating systems like Windows, Android, macOS, etc. You can also use this VPN for ChatGPT on smartphones and PCs.
- Norton VPN also comes with a kill switch feature that helps in case the connection drops and helps ensure there are no data leaks.
- It also offers an ad-blocking option and secures your connection using public Wi-fi hotspots.
- Interestingly, Norton VPN does not maintain any logs of your data. Even though there are no audits conducted for this service provider, there have been no cases of data breaches.
Norton offers two plans – a basic plan at $2.50 per month or a deluxe plan at $49.99 for the entire, and an antivirus included in the package. The deluxe plan also offers a 7-day trial.
ExpressVPN – Guaranteeing Uncompromised Security for ChatGPT
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for those who do not want to compromise on speed or privacy features. This VPN service provider has around 3000 servers available in 90+ countries.
- Firstly, ExpressVPN does not just offer compatibility with multiple operating systems but also offers protection to the software. It is also easily compatible with different routers and can run on all web browsers.
- With its proprietary tunnel protocol known as the Lightway, ExpressVPN offers incredible speed and can be considered a moderate version of the WireGuard protocol.
- You also get a standard kill switch with this VPN, and it does the work to avoid any information leaks. Traffic camouflaging is also available with ExpressVPN.
Unlike its competitors, ExpressVPN is slightly expensive and offers a monthly plan at $6.67. But the good news is you can easily use this VPN connection for over five devices at a time. And at the end, you always get the 30-day money-back option if you want to opt out of this VPN facility.
CyberGhost – Ensuring Rapid Browsing for ChatGPT Users
Last on our list is CyberGhost, which is also a great option, especially for extra fast browsing speed on ChatGPT. It has around 9400 servers located in 90+ locations, making it easily accessible for you.
- CyberGhost is easily compatible with all operating systems and can be set up on any web browser. However, it does not offer a kill switch, making it susceptible to data leaks.
- Because it has WireGuard protocol for support, the speed offered by CyberGhost is considered one of the best among all available VPNs.
- CyberGhost offers robust security with its NoSpy server feature available to all users, making it even better since no third party is involved with the data security.
- Moreover, CyberGhost does not store your data, not even for development purposes. And since they are audited regularly, there are no traces of user data logs.
CyberGhost is a cheaper option compared to other VPNs and is available at $2.19 per month, with the bonus of a 45-day money-back option if services aren’t up to the mark.
Testing Parameters: How We Ranked These VPNs for ChatGPT
Now that we have learnt about the best VPNs, here are the parameters that allowed us to have these VPNs ranked as best for accessing ChatGPT.
- The most crucial parameter was the availability of servers of the said VPNs in a broader range of areas and with more servers allocated to allow access to sites restricted in the said area.
- It was also essential that the VPN performed well, kept the internet speed high, and offered a stable connection while reducing speed only to a bare minimum.
- Generally, ChatGPT stores all the personal information you feed it, including your IP address, location, etc. And hence, the parameter was to use a VPN that had a no-data logging policy.
- The presence of a kill switch was also significant. And if not, an equally robust security plan to ensure no data leaks or possible data logs were being recorded in the system.
- Lastly, the VPNs chosen for ChatGPT had to be reasonably priced, with the option for money-back in case the services weren’t at par.
A Step-by-Step Guide: Using ChatGPT with a VPN
The procedure to access ChatGPT using a VPN is straightforward to understand. Here is the procedure explained-
- Choose a VPN that suits you best based on the features mentioned in the text above.
- Download the VPN application on your device and follow the instructions on your screen.
- You will be asked to sign-up to access the VPN on your device, and it will then connect to a nearby server with unrestricted access to ChatGPT.
- Make sure to clear all cookies and cache files. After this, use a private window on your browser.
- Look up ChatGPT on the browser and click on the official site page.
If you are located somewhere, ChatGPT is not available; you can try accessing it via the VoIP feature and add your phone number to get started with the fantastic AI chatbot.
Exploring the Need for a VPN with ChatGPT
Below listed are the primary reasons why you need to get a VPN connection to access ChatGPT.
- Since many countries have blocked access to ChatGPT, having a VPN might be your only chance to try this tool firsthand. The reason for blocking access varies from criminal activities to political situations.
- ChatGPT is best known for its AI-based writing abilities, making it easier for students to do the work for them. Hence, many educational institutions have also banned the tool in some countries.
- As the tool collects the user’s personal information, such as location, IP address, etc., it is easier to avoid this kind of data leakage using VPNs.
Regional Restrictions: Countries Where ChatGPT Access is Limited
ChatGPT is banned in the countries listed below.
- North Korea
Besides this, the tool has restricted access in countries like India, the US, France and Australia and does not allow educational institutions to access ChatGPT on their network.
To Pay or Not to Pay: Should You Opt for a Free VPN for ChatGPT?
While using a free VPN to access ChatGPT may sound nice, it raises questions about privacy and data leaks. Hence, it is not advised to go for a free VPN.
Alternatively, VPNs with free-premium VPN options offer free access but belong to a premium service provider, making it worth the try. But such premium brands are rarely available. It is better to go for a paid VPN with good security features and privacy policies that offer free trials and money-back guarantees in case the services do not turn out well.
ChatGPT is an outstanding AI tool for creative writers, students, executives and entrepreneurs. However, it is crucial to access this tool carefully and keep in mind that your data is being shared and stored by ChatGPT.
If you still want to try it without giving away personal information, go for a good VPN option, as discussed in detail in this article, and then access the tool as needed.