How to Cast Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to Roku TV
The popular VR headset, Oculus (Meta) Quest 2, is an advanced technology that allows you to enjoy an incredible virtual reality experience. But what if you could let others in on your immersive journey with the Quest 2 headset? You can now cast your Quest 2 headset’s content onto the Roku TV app and allow others to witness and share your experience.
This article will discuss how the Oculus VR headset can cast onto the Roku TV screen.
1. Check if Chromecast & Quest 2 are on the same WiFi network
You can only cast the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 on to Roku TV if the Quest 2 device and the Chromecast have a single WiFi network connection. All WiFi routers come installed with double band signals, offering the capability to connect different devices to two networks, i.e., 2.4 GHz network or a 5.0 GHz network. These double bands ignore any interference problems and connectivity issues. And yet this can become a problem when casting the Quest 2 on the Roku TV device.
For instance, if the Quest 2 is connected to a 2.4 GHz and Chromecast to 5.0 GHz, you will not be able to complete the casting procedure since both are on different networks. You can quickly check if this is the case by using the below steps:
- Check your Chromecast WiFi network.
The first thing to check is the WiFi network connection for the Chromecast device. You can do it by below steps:
- Go to Google Home on your phone. Remember to check that your phone is using same WiFi network that you’d like to use for your Chromecast.
- Now, inside the app, click on your Device.
- After this, go to the Settings option in the top right corner and select the WiFi option.
Here, you will find the name for the network connected to your Chromecast. If you think the network it connects to is incorrect, click on the Forget option to set up the Device again.
The next thing to check is whether the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 is connected to the same network.
- Checking your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 WiFi network
Now, you must verify the WiFi network connection for your Quest 2. Here is how you can check it:
- Click on the Apps icon on the Quest 2 home screen.
- Here, go to the Settings option and click on Device.
- Now, click on the WiFi option to check the network name for your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2.
It will confirm whether your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 has the same network connection as the Chromecast. If both are connected to the same network, and you are still unable to cast Quest 2 on your Roku TV screen, move on to the following method.
2. Change Roku Input to Chromecast (HDMI)
After you have checked that the Chromecast and Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 are connected to one WiFi network, consider changing the Roku TV input option for your Chromecast.
Here is how you can do it:
- Go to the Home menu. Here, click on the Settings option.
- Now, select the TV Inputs option and choose the input that you wish to use.
It will add the input option as an icon on the Roku TV home screen, and you can use it by clicking on the tile whenever you want to change the input option. But before you move out of this screen, remember to name the input option you have chosen to make it easy to find in future.
3. Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Roku TV
Now, since both your devices, Chromecast as well as Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 are connected to a single network, and the Roku TV is correctly connected to the input source, the next thing to do is to cast the Quest 2 on the TV.
Let us get to it then:
- Switch on the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 headset by holding the button on the right side.
- Once you enter the home screen, click on the Sharing option and select Cast.
- When a pop-up window shows all accessible devices that can cast, click on Roku TV, and it should automatically connect to your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2.
It should do the trick and mirror the Quest 2 headset onto the Roku TV screen.
4. Cast Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to Phone, then Mirror to Roku TV
In case you do not use a Chromecast to cast the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 on, you can still launch it on the Roku TV device. The first thing to do now is to cast the Quest 2 device onto your smartphone. Once this is completed, you can mirror your smartphone on the Roku TV device.
Below are two options to consider when casting your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 on your smartphone to then mirror it on the Roku TV:
- Casting Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to your phone
Follow the below steps to cast your Oculus headset on your smartphone:
- Go to the App Store or Play Store and download the Meta Quest app on your smartphone.
- Now, open the Meta Quest app and switch on the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 device simultaneously.
- Once on, press the right-side button to go to the Menu option.
- Here, go to the Sharing option and then select Cast. Now click on the Meta Quest app option.
- When a pop-up appears on the Quest app, click on the Start Casting option.
It should cast your Quest 2’s content onto the smartphone.
- Mirror your phone to your Roku TV
Now, the next thing to do is to mirror the smartphone’s screen on the Roku TV device. Remember to have your smartphone on the same network as the Quest 2 device and Roku TV.
Whether you are using an Apple or non-Apple device, follow the following steps to mirror the smartphone to the Roku TV device.
5. Screen Mirroring using an Apple device.
If you are using an Apple device, ensure the Airplay mode is active on the Roku TV device. You can check that by clicking on the Roku remote controller’s Home screen and going to the Settings option. Here, click on Apple AirPlay & HomeKit. Now, check if the AirPlay toggle bar is activated.
In case you have restored the default settings on your TV, it may have disabled the AirPlay option. Also, if you are still looking for the opportunity for Apple & AirPlay, you may need to update the software on the Roku device. However, if you still need help finding the option after updating the software, Roku may be incompatible with the AirPlay option.
If the AirPlay is ON, you can mirror the Apple device on your Roku TV device. Now, press downwards on your Apple device’s screen from top and right corner to open the Control Centre. Here you will find an icon with picture within picture that you need to click. It will open up the Screen Monitoring menu on the iPhone, showing the list of nearby available devices. Click on Roku TV from this list.
Enter the PIN here, and your Apple device will start casting onto the Roku TV screen.
6. Screen Mirroring using a non-Apple device.
If you use a non-Apple device, you could easily cast it on the Roku TV. Several Roku TVs let non-Apple devices use screen mirror features on their screens. Follow the below steps to do this:
- Enable screen mirroring on Roku TV
The first thing to do is to ensure that the screen mirror feature is working on the Roku TV device. You can do it by clicking on the Home button on the Roku TV remote. Here, scroll to the Settings option, and select System. Here click on the Screen Mirroring option.
Also, ensure that the screen mirror option has been set as Always allow/prompt.
- Enable the screen mirror feature on your Device
Once you have enabled the screen mirror option on the Roku TV, do the same for your phone/tablet. For every smartphone/tablet brand, the screen mirror option can have a different name (For ex., Miracast, Multiscreen, Smart mirror, Screencast, Wireless display, etc.). You can find this option on your Device and activate it.
The Device should be able to scan all nearby devices for casting and once the Roku TV is visible on the list, click on it. Afterwards, a pop-up window seeking permission will show up on the Roku TV; here, click on Allow option.
It would enable you to screen mirror your non-Apple Device onto the Roku TV screen successfully.
7. How to cast Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to your laptop and then mirror it to Roku TV.
In case the above methods did not prove helpful, you can also use your laptop to screen mirror onto the Roku TV. You will need to cast the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 on your laptop screen and then mirror the laptop on the Roku TV.
Again, remember to check that you have connected your laptop to the same network as that of the Roku TV device and Oculus (Meta) Quest 2.
- Casting Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to your laptop
If you want to cast the Oculus Quest 2 on your laptop screen, follow the below steps:
- Go to oculus.com/casting on the laptop screen.
- Log in to this account using your Quest 2 login details and switch on the Oculus headset.
- On the Oculus(Meta) Quest 2 headset, press on the button which is on the right side.
- When the menu screen appears, move to the Sharing option and then click on Cast.
- Now, select Computer as the casting device.
It should make the laptop screen the casting device for your Oculus headset.
- Mirror your laptop to your Roku TV
After the chosen casting device is Mac, click on the icon for control panel on the top of the screen. Here, click on Screen Mirroring and then on Roku TV.
It should initiate screen mirroring from your Mac to the Roku device.
You should troubleshoot the steps below if you cannot use the above methods to cast the Quest 2 headset onto the Roku device.
- Restart devices
Try to switch off all the devices used in this process and then wait for 60 seconds. Afterwards, power all the devices on. To reboot the Roku TV, unplug the power cord from the power point and wait for 60 seconds. Please stay for an entire minute before you plug it back. While you keep the TV off, hold the Roku TV device power button for half a minute.
It will drain all remaining power from your TV device and allow it to do a soft reset.
- Check Quest 2 for software updates.
You can also try and update the software for all your devices. You can check the software version for your Oculus device by below steps:
- Switch on the headset and press the right side button to go to Menu.
- Once the Menu opens up, click on Apps. After this, go to Settings.
- Here, click on About and then Software Update. The screen will show an error confirming that no more updates are available if the device has the latest version.
I hope you solved the casting problem and connected your Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to the Roku TV device.
To summarise, here is a list of fixes you should consider when planning to cast your Quest 2 on the Roku TV.
- Check if Chromecast & Quest 2 are on a single WiFi network
- Change Roku Input to Chromecast (HDMI)
- Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Roku TV
- Cast Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to phone, then Mirror to Roku TV
- Screen mirroring using an Apple device
- Screen mirroring using a non-Apple device
- How to cast Oculus (Meta) Quest 2 to your laptop and then mirror it to Roku TV
- Restart devices
- Check Quest 2 for software updates