For gaming enthusiasts, an error in the Minecraft game can be annoying. The error Failed to download, the file contents differ from what was expected can make the Minecraft game inaccessible to anyone using the game. You will be unable to access the various dungeon stages to play the game until you have resolved the error.
In this article, we will help you resolve the Failed to download, file contents differ from what was expected error in the Minecraft game. Read on to find the various fixes for this error.
Failed to Download File, the File Contents Differ – Quick Solution
If you are getting the file download fail error on your screen, you may have used a new mod recently, which may be the reason for this error. To solve this, go on to
In the .minecraft folder, copy all the mod folders, paste them into another folder, and delete the original ones from the .minecraft folder. After this, relaunch the Minecraft app to see if the issue has been fixed.
Method 1: Set Java for Opening .Jar Extension
If you cannot open the Minecraft game due to the file download fail error, and you might want to check the file opening preference for Java to ensure the game opens on your device. To open a .Jar file extension, you will need a Java environment to execute the file’s contents.
However, you will not be able to open the .Jar file if another application has been set as the default option to open that file. Here are some steps to change the file extension for your Minecraft file:
- Go to C drive. Here, within the Users folder, look for the %username% folder.
- Now, look for the AppData folder and search for the Roaming option.
- From here, go to the Minecraft folder. Now, right-click on any file .Jar as the file extension and click on Properties.
It will change the .Jar file’s opening preference in the Add-ons folder.
- After this, click on Change, next to the Open With option.
- Select the Java file to open similar file extensions.
You can use this method to change the file opening preference for another file with the help of .Jar extension. However, this is only applicable if the file extension is by default selected as Java.
If so, move on to the following procedure to resolve the issue with your Minecraft app.
Method 2: Repair Corrupt Files
If the file extension is correct, the file may be corrupt. This situation may occur if you like to try new Minecraft mods all the time. Here is what to do to get over this error:
- Go on to C drive. Now, click on Users > username > AppData > Roaming > .minecraft.
- Once you are in the .minecraft folder, copy the folder for mods within the game folder, past it in some other location.
- After this, delete the actual folder from the .minecraft folder.
Reload the Minecraft game app and see if this method has fixed the error. If it works, you should know that some mod files were corrupt, and you delete the most recently added mod file. Try and relaunch the game to confirm that the error is gone.
Since the mod files remain in the game folder until you find them, you should remove every mod file and relaunch the game app after every deletion.
However, if this did not help, you should move on to the following procedure to fix the Download failed, file contents differ error.
Method 3: Update Minecraft to the Latest Release
One primary reason behind the error Download failed, file contents differ can be the outdated version of Minecraft. To update the latest version of Minecraft, follow the below steps:
- Click on Minecraft Launcher and open the game file. Click on the Options tab next to your username.
- Now, click on the Force Update button. It will update the Minecraft launcher and resolve the error once and for all.
If not, go on to the following method to address this download file problem on Minecraft.
Method 4: Open the Vanilla Launcher
If you were using another launcher for Minecraft and applied the mod to this launcher, the only way of solving the download file error is by opening the game on a Vanilla Launcher. You should follow the below steps to perform this fix:
- Firstly, exit from the other launcher. In case it is present in the PC tray, exit it.
- Now, access the Minecraft native launcher (Vanilla) and click Play.
- Allow the Minecraft launcher to run until you get to the Create Game screen. After this, exit the Vanilla launcher, and exit it from the tray.
- Once done, access the other launcher and see if this method has cleared the error.
For Twitch gamers, you may select Mod Pack, and then click on the launcher screen. Here, switch the launcher option to Vanilla and then reload the game again. After this, let it load completely and then close the game. Repeat this method for all Mod files to see whether the error has been fixed.
Method 5 – Use a VPN Connection to Download the File
If the above method did not fix the failed file download error on Minecraft, it might be due to a Minecraft server glitch. However, you can quickly fix this by considering a VPN connection. Before you connect it to a VPN connection, remember to close the launcher and exit it on the tray.
- Find an apt VPN app and install it on your PC.
- Connect it with another file address, and then reopen the launcher again.
It should resolve the error and allow your Minecraft launcher to work correctly.
Method 6 – Disable the Firewall of Your PC
Here is another method you should consider if none of the above was able to resolve the launcher error. You can temporarily disable the Microsoft Defender Firewall on your PC.
Follow below steps to disable the Firewall:
- Go to the Start menu. Here, click on Settings > Update and Security.
- You will find the Windows Security option on the left side of the screen. Click on it, and then on Open Windows Security. Here, you will be able to access various Microsoft Defender features.
- Select the Virtual and threat protection option to access the antivirus segment. And go to Manage settings.
- In the resulting screen, go to Real-time protection and disable it. Since it is the main protection gear for Microsoft Defender, you will need to accept the UAC prompt on the screen. Also, ensure you have admin access to the PC to take this.
You can also whitelist the Minecraft launcher in the Firewall settings to allow an app to get through the Firewall. To do this, follow below steps:
- Go to the Start menu. Here, in the Settings option, click on Update and Security and then Windows Security. Here, click on the Firewall and network protection option.
- In the Firewall and network protection tab, click on the Allow app through firewall option.
- Now, select Change settings > Allow another application.
- Click on the Browse option and look for the Minecraft app. Click on Add.
- Now, check the Private & Public boxes. Click on OK.
Hopefully, you can access the Minecraft launcher with the download error fixed now.
Method 7 – Remove the Corrupt Mod
- Manually Download the File and Place it in the Minecraft Directory.
Sometimes the Minecraft launcher may miss downloading and updating the file in the directory. You can manually download the file and put it in the Minecraft directory if this happens.
- First, copy the error on a separate document and exit Minecraft.
- Open a web browser and paste the error message on the site address section.
- It will start a file download. Let the download happen, and then copy the file.
- Now, right click on Windows and select File Explorer.
- Steer the file address in the message, excluding the file name and delete the file.
- After this, confirm the file deletion and paste the copied file into a separate document in Step 3.
- If this does not work, see if you can unzip the file downloaded and then place it in the file location in 5th step. If you are trying to open the file in another launcher, plan the file downloaded and then reload the Vanilla launcher. Now, click on Play.
- After this, in Create Game option, press exit. Now, use another launcher.
It should resolve the download file error and allow you to launch the Minecraft launcher quickly. If this has not worked for you, move on to the below method.
Method 8 – Reinstall the Minecraft Launcher
If you have tried all the above methods, this is the last option to fix the Download failed, file contents differ error. Before reinstalling the Minecraft app, you will have to delete the existing version of the app.
To save your current progress in the game, you can save a copy of the existing game elsewhere on the PC.
- Go to the Control Panel button.
- Here, click on the Programs & Features section.
- Now, locate Minecraft and click on it to select Uninstall.
- After this, follow this location – C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming
- Delete the folder named .minecraft from said location.
- Once done, visit the website of Minecraft and install the Minecraft launcher on your PC.
Make sure to save the new folder in the same location so you can play the game in the new file while keeping a copy of the progress from the earlier file.
Using the above procedures, you will be able to resolve the Download failed, contents differ from the file error in the Minecraft launcher app.
I hope these methods prove beneficial and allow you to use the Minecraft launcher app again.
Also, to summarize what all we have learned in this article, here is a list of everything discussed in the article above.
- Use Java as the default application for opening .Jar extension file
- Repair the corrupt Minecraft launcher file
- Update the Minecraft launcher app to the latest version
- Open the game via the vanilla launcher
- Use a VPN connection to download the app files
- Disable the PC firewall
- Download the file manually and then place it in the app directory
- Reinstall the Minecraft Launcher app