With a secure virtual connection, you can reduce the threat of any potential cyberattack or theft online. A VPN connection keeps your network safe, especially when you want to stream online and play games. It also protects you from potential advertisers that can collect and use your data for marketing purposes.
Using a VPN for gaming is the best way to ensure safety and protect your data. This article will discuss more VPNs and why they are the best gaming and streaming option in 2023.
Definition of VPN
VPN is short for Virtual Private Network. A VPN connection offers high-speed internet for gaming and streaming requirements and hides your data from potential threats and advertisers that may misuse your data. It is further beneficial when streaming online using a public Wi-fi network as it protects your credit card details and password information. It has more benefits, such as get secure access to the internet, improved data privacy and unrestricted access to content being blocked by censors or firewalls.
Importance of using a VPN for streaming and gaming
From a gamer’s viewpoint, a VPN connection is essential to their setup as it helps them improve their performance on gaming platforms. Regular gamers can also spoof their current location by accessing a server in a different country. A lot of times, gamers face DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks by their opponents to get them thrown out of the game by making them unavailable online, and that’s why they must use a VPN connection to avoid such situations.
You can access various international servers with a vast network spread across the globe. VPN also offers a multi-hop option and tools for split tunneling. Using a VPN connection, you can bypass any game bans that suggest a player could get banned for using cheat codes or if a game uses specific tools to prevent cheating.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a VPN for Streaming and Gaming
While the above text should give you an idea of why a VPN is crucial for streaming and gaming purposes, it is also vital that you consider all factors before you choose a VPN connection for your gaming activities.
Below are some essential things to remember when selecting an apt VPN.
The first thing to consider when choosing a VPN connection is the location of the servers. You will need the servers to be reachable if you want access to a game released in a different region. The server must offer you access to all games and content that you’d like to stream.
Some VPN options can reduce the lag time, increasing the internet speed to help amp up your gaming and streaming experience. Hence, choosing a VPN that uses high-bandwidth servers would be best to ensure the connection speed is up to the mark.
Compatibility with streaming platforms and gaming consoles
Your VPNs compatibility with your device and gaming platforms is as essential as the connectivity you need to run the games. The VPN you are going for does not support the site or platform you prefer for games or streaming movies. Also, check that the device compatibility allows you to access the VPN on your PC and smartphone.
Privacy and security features
Another vital thing that makes users picky about the VPN options is the need for privacy. The VPN connection you use should let you stay anonymous when accessing online platforms for gaming or streaming experience. Also, it is crucial that your VPN connection protects your personal information and does not allow websites or online platforms to collect and use your data.
Hence, you must choose wisely and go for a VPN option that is safe and reliable for online activities. Moreover, even if the VPN lets you access a game you could not do earlier, it should not expose you and your data to potential cyberattacks. You can make an appropriate choice by looking at the reviews for the VPN and seeing if there are any potential issues with it. It will prove beneficial and save you from any DDoS situations too.
Top VPNs for Streaming and Gaming
Here is a list of the best streaming and gaming VPN options available today. You can read about them and decide on a VPN that suits you best.
The first one on our list of top VPNs is SurfShark, a reasonably priced VPN known for being fast and secure. You can use SurfShark if you wish to connect several devices simultaneously, and it’s cheap too. SurfShark offers some fantastic features to customers looking for a VPN within € 47.88 per year:
- As a part of its security package, SurfShark offers AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, WireGuard and Open VPN along with a dedicated IP and more.
- You can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max and BBC iPlayer using SurfShark on your device.
- With SurfShark, your data remains untraceable, saving your data from any cyber threats. Moreover, as a strict policy, it does not record any data logs.
- With this VPN, you can quickly get 700-800 Mbps speed on the WireGuard protocol.
Moreover, you also get data breach alerts, antivirus, and private search engines with SurfShark. It is a good choice for UAE, Russia, Turkey and Iran users, as you can access it on your device.
Next is NordVPN, which offers the most advanced features and the most recent privacy tech. Along with fully optimized P2P server options that provide high speed for downloading, NordVPN lets you access torrents on most of the server options. NordVPN has several exciting traits that make it a good choice for you:
- As per the WireGuard protocol, NordVPN offers a connection speed between 725 Mbps and 800 Mbps.
- This VPN connection comes loaded with RAM-only servers, Meshnet, and also offers bundled versions with NordLocker, which provides secure cloud storage and NordPass, which helps manage passwords and has an added benefit of a scanner for detecting data breaches.
- Regarding censorship, NordVPN is a rare VPN connection accessible in the most censored country, i.e. China, because of modern technology that hides the VPN traffic.
NordVPN also has technology that avoids IP and DNS leakage and is a safe torrenting option.
ExpressVPN is one VPN connection option that guarantees optimized services for all usage without using a dedicated server. It is one of the topmost options for latency across Europe, with 40.4 ms.
- Especially for gamers, ExpressVPN offers a split tunnel option, reserving the speed of the VPN for games.
- ExpressVPN’s kill switch feature does not allow the internet connection to move back to a regular connection if the VPN is disconnected at any time.
- If you install ExpressVPN on a router directly or use your computer as an alternate virtual router, you can easily access all ExpressVPN features on your gaming console device.
- This VPN connection can be accessed on various operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Android, macOS, and iOS.
Another excellent VPN connection option that offers excellent services for streaming and gaming is CyberGhost. As one of the VPN speed tests, CyberGhost has the fastest speed between 825 and 850 Mbps. Moreover, it is available at the most reasonable prices, offering a massive network of 9000 servers spread across 91 countries for users to consider. Here are some crucial features of this VPN:
- CyberGhost offers great security support with an AES-256 encryption option, kill switch, dedicated IP address, Ad blocker and more.
- This VPN offers various server options, including P2P optimized servers, entirely owned NoSpy servers, static IP servers, etc.
- Interestingly, you can access this VPN on seven different devices simultaneously, offering a shared VPN option that is cost-effective too.
Private Internet Access (PIA)
PIA, short for Private Internet Access, is a VPN service that offers advanced-level network support and comes with several privacy tools bundled in an intelligent UI. Private Internet Access providers have a split tunneling option allowing you to decide on the apps that can send data via VPN. This VPN is especially a good choice for users who want to stream videos, which requires a high bandwidth but involves a low-level risk.
- PIA also has an exciting multi-hop option that directs the internet traffic not from one VPN server but from two. You also get to choose your proxy settings and the secondary location.
- With three rental options, the PIA services start at a mere $11.95 per month, making it an expensive alternative to consider for streaming. However, with long-duration subscriptions, you get cheaper pricing at $39.95 per year.
One of the most influential and feature-loaded VPN services is offered by Proton VPN. With great prices, you can get this Proton VPN at a value offer with additional support in terms of email security, storage space, and a calendar option. Below are some essential features of this VPN:
- With Japan, Netherlands and the US as its server locations, you also get a free subscription package, allowing only one device to be connected at a time. Moreover, you must have an account on Proton VPN to use the free subscription.
- Moreover, Proton VPN does not have any limit on data utilization. Hence, it is the best free subscription VPN service option for you.
Last on our list is IPVanish, which offers affordable services while being completely secure and fast. You can access IPVanish on several devices at a time. While it is a good choice, IPVanish has a comparatively more minor network with limited servers.
- You can only access Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer in the US using IPVanish; it does not allow smooth streaming for Amazon Prime and HBO Max.
- IPVanish has an internet connection speed between 700 and 725 Mbps.
- Its server network may be small, but it owns all of them, reducing third-party involvement and increasing user data security and privacy.
How to Set Up a VPN for Streaming and Gaming
Now that you know which VPN to choose, you should start working on setting it up. You can begin by reading below three easy steps to get it done.
Choosing a VPN provider
The first thing to ensure is that you choose an apt VPN service provider based on your setup requirement and location. You can use some excellent VPN options, such as SurfShark, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, CyberGhost, Proton VPN, and IPVanish.
Setting up the VPN on your device
Once you have selected a VPN service, follow the below steps to set up the VPN on your device.
- Go to your VPN service provider’s official website, select a subscription plan, and create an account.
- After this, download the software file from the website and install the VPN.
- Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the installation steps on the screen.
- Once installed, log in to the VPN account with your credentials.
It should set up the VPN on your device.
Connecting to a server
Once the setup is completed, the next thing to do is to connect the VPN to a server available in the area.
- Go to the VPN account, select the VPN server option, or skip this step. Choosing a specific server based on whether you want to stream online or play games would be best. If you do not plan any particular activity, go for the nearest server option.
- Now, click on the power button to turn on the VPN program.
It should connect the VPN to the desired server and activate the services on your device.
To end this article, I hope you learned a lot about the best VPNs available today and which ones suit you best. It would be best to consider all the factors discussed above when planning to get a VPN connection to avoid any hasty decisions that don’t solve the purpose.